Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Face Lift

Remember this...

Our poor front door needed some TLC and we finally set aside an evening to tackle it. Little did we know this would turn out to take much longer than we had planned. The layers of paint that had accumulated from almost 100 years of various tenants needed to go. After the tedious stripping of paint, came tedious sanding, and patching... all very worth it to have a fresh slate for a new coat of paint.

Before painting Ben replaced the frame, threshold and trim of the doorway:











After the construction finished, we began the pretty part I'd been waiting for.

Fresh primer:


Removal of hardware:


Ben, hard at work:
New threshold:

New trim:

New hardware:




Our finished product!


I chose a gray paint for our house that I actually saw on another house while out running. I stopped and asked for the name of the paint and I couldn't be happier with the color for our house as well. We have not painted the whole house yet but we are making progress. I can't wait to add the details... a wall mounted mailbox, and new mail slot, a wreath, topiaries, new porch light etc.
We removed the hideous metal awning from the front porch. I don't know what they were thinking when whoever it was put it up but it was one of the first things I wanted down. Finally the day has come to say "sayonara dirty white metal awning!"

6 comments:

  1. Ah! I'm in love with your color choices. It'll look so great! I'll have to stop by and see it in person sometime. Good work kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!!
    your color choice couldn't have been more perfect! you guys have been working so hard! good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! It all looks FAB!! I'm glad you are posting, and keeping us all updated on what's happening on Hurley Ave. Miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow....I LOVE it! I think the color choice was great. And man...it looked like a lot of hard work too. Nice job you two!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great job!!! It looks fab and I'm still stunned by the sunny weather. Blizzard here :)
    Happy Thanksgiving you two.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh brit you and ben are really making me want to move again! Such a fun house and neighborhood!! I love all your remodeling choices the front door is just so amazing!! I am in LOVE!

    ReplyDelete