Sunday, October 24, 2010

Picking Paint

What color do we paint our house? That is the burning question. I'm tired of this boring beige and lime green trim. I'm sure our neighbors are too. I am continually browsing for pictures online, driving around the neighborhood, and going running in new neighborhoods in search of ideas and inspiration.

I love a bold door. Red is a great color for a front door but my neighbor on one side has a red door. I love a yellow house. I grew up in a yellow house, my wedding flowers were yellow, I love how bright, cheery and welcoming yellow is, but my neighbor on the other side has a beautiful yellow house. Maybe I should do a yellow house with a red door?! If it does come down to it I'm not afraid to "copy" my neighbors but I first want to take into consideration all other options, and ultimatley decide up colors that are classy but fun and represent Ben and I.

Our neighbors...




Some pictures in my ideabook...















I asked my sister Laina for advice and she suggested gray and showed me the picture above. Gray is a classy modern paint color that allows for so many front door color options. I am definitely considering gray as the color for my house. Yet it gets complicated since there are so many shades of gray! Some grays are icy and cold, some are warm and inviting.
I was running past a home the other day and decided to knock on the door to find out what shade of gray they painted their house. The little old woman was so sweet and even invited me in and showed me her pretty house. I made a friend, and found a paint color for my house. We've bought a sample and will paint a piece of our house to see if we like it. If we do go with gray we have so many options for a front door color. Too bad I am so indecisive... that decision may take more searching and brain wracking.
I am currently accepting all advice.

4 comments:

  1. I personally love the grey and pink door! The pink totally fits you and your personality :). I have painted my master bedroom "sterling" and I LOVE it. Don't be afraid to be bold, be you! BTW a yellow house with a grey door would be very nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of a gray house. And as far as your door is concerned...there are a ton of colors that would look great with gray. I think it'd be fun to change the color of your door every 6 months-a year just for a nice change. It wouldn't be that much work either. Good luck with the decisions. Can't wait to see what you choose!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay gray! I'd go gray but my next door neighbor's house is gray and I'm WAY ABOVE COPYING MY NEIGHBORS COLOR SCHEME...☺

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love white with a yellow door. There is a house in our neighborhood like that- and I always oo and ahh over it.
    However that pinkesh door would be pretty fun.
    There is also a house on our street that I call the valentines house and it is pink with a red door and white trim, and I <3 it so much

    ReplyDelete